“Can’t you see that the food you put into your body cannot defile you? Food doesn’t go into your heart, but only passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer. It is what comes from inside that defiles you. For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness.” – Mark 7:18-22
On the surface “sex”, as depicted in our culture, media, books, magazines, etc. may seem alluring, and without consequences. In reality, it’s just an illusion. See previous post – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-d8
Illusion is defined by Merriam/Webster and Dictionary.com as –
- something that is false or not real but that seems to be true or real
- an incorrect idea : an idea that is based on something that is not true
This is why I chose the word illusion, in regards to the culture’s, media’s, books’, magazine’s, etc. depiction of “sex”. Their focus is on pleasure, happiness, excitement, freedom, etc., while neglecting to point out the emotional and physical repercussions of sexual relationships, outside the confines of marriage.
God created physical attraction between men and women, but He never intended for it to be used solely to fulfill our own selfish desires, http://wp.me/p5nZpi-cJ.
But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman should have her own husband. The husband should fulfill his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband’s needs. The wife gives authority over her body to her husband, and the husband gives authority over his body to his wife. – 1 Corinthians 7:1-4
Sexual intercourse is a beautiful gift God has given people for procreation (having children), and physical pleasure within a marriage covenant/commitment. A beautiful gift, that Satan has distorted, causing people pain, humiliation, and regrets.
Because the sexual relationship, within the context of marriage, is so important, Paul warns in 1 Corinthians 7:5 – Do not deprive each other (your husband or wife) of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
As we watch TV, movies, or read books we’re often shown explicit/graphic,”romance”, while leaving out the emotional and/or physical consequences of engaging in “casual sex”.
The Truth Is — Sexual immorality…
- Tears families apart
- Fractures a person’s ability to experience “true” love
- Degrades human beings, turning them into objects
- May lead to diseases
- May result in unwanted children
- Is against God’s law
Next post, we’ll begin to look at Proverbs 5. Until then, ponder Solomon’s urgings in the first two verses of Proverbs Chapter 5, – My children, pay attention to my wisdom; listen carefully to my wise counsel. THEN you will show discernment, and your lips will express what you’ve learned.
- If you would like to receive notifications when new posts are published, click on the FOLLOW button in the sidebar. Or if you are viewing from your mobile device, scroll down the page and you’ll see the FOLLOW blog via email button 🙂
- It you are viewing with the mobile version, scroll down to the bottom of this page for additional info and pics 🙂
- Take a look at the other tabs in the menu for encouragement and inspiration as you continue to BUILD A FOUNDATION!!