When considering the question, Who or What Tempts Me?, it would seem that most of us could quickly list off a few offenders –
- Situations around me
- What I read
- Music I listen to
- People – friends, family, etc.
However, you may be surprised when you hear the unlikely suspects the Bible gives in answer to this question.
Most importantly, we need to understand that God DOES NOT tempt us – Remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is NEVER tempted to do wrong, and He NEVER tempts anyone else. – James 1:13
HOWEVER, and this is where it gets a little sticky, God may allow us to be tempted.
This is when we run into our first unlikely suspect – SATAN. Unlikely, because people don’t see Satan, therefore, they often don’t believe that he actually exists. We can equate Satan’s existence to the wind. We don’t actually see wind, but we certainly feel it’s effects.
Satan, in the same way, is actively at work, day in and day out, looking for ways to mess us up.
1. Satan watches people
“Where have you come from?” the LORD asked Satan. Satan answered the LORD, “I have been patrolling the earth, watching everything that’s going on.” – Job 1:7
This video clip of a drone hovering unnoticed over the unsuspecting people in the City of Chicago is how I imagine Satan patrolling the earth.
2. Satan pursues people
Not only does Satan watch what’s going on, he is also persistence in his pursuit of turning people from God.
(Keep in mind that Satan pursues God-followers, not non-God-followers. Why?? Jesus answers this question when he is challenged by the Pharisees after healing a demon possessed man in Matthew 12:22-30. Jesus says in verse 30, “Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.” So Satan doesn’t bother with non-God-followers because they are already on his “team”.)
In the story of Job, we have a Biblical example of Satan’s persistence – see Job 1:1-11
Satan says to God, “You have always protected him and his home and his property from harm. You have made him prosperous in everything he does. Look how rich he is! But take away everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face!” – Job 1:10-11
And then we have God’s shocking response to Satan’s request, “All right, you may test him,” the Lord said to Satan. – Job 1:12. Then in the remaining chapters in the Book of Job we read how Satan stripped Job of his family and worldly comforts.
Here’s the upside —
God does not give Satan free rein to do as he pleases. We see one example of this in the story of Job, “Do whatever you want with everything he possesses (his stuff), but don’t harm him physically.” – Job 1:12, nor in our lives. God puts restrictions on Satan.
3. Satan offers craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions – 1 John 2:15-17
Unfortunately, Satan is not easily deterred. In fact, he is so bold that he even tempts Jesus!! – Matthew 4:1-11. In Matthew 4:3 Tempter is used as a synonym for Satan.
For more on this, see my post — What Is Driving Our Temptations?? – TEMPTATION – , http://wp.me/p5nZpi-yx
In this post we’ve talked about unlikely tempting suspect #1 – Satan. However, there is another unlikely suspect you may not have considered – See post – My Own Worst Enemy?? – TEMPTATION  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-AR
** FOR MORE ON TEMPTATION SEE MY OTHER POSTS BELOW **
The Battle Is On… – TEMPTATION  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-A3
My Own Worst Enemy?? – TEMPTATION  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-AR
- Would you like to have a personal/intimate relationship with the God?? Take a look at the tab, The Cornerstone…, in the menu for more info.
- If you would like to receive notifications when new posts are published, click on the FOLLOW button in the sidebar. Or if you are viewing from your mobile device, scroll down the page and you’ll see the FOLLOW blog via email button 🙂
- It you are viewing with the mobile version, scroll down to the bottom of this page for additional info and pics 🙂
- Take a look at the other tabs in the menu for encouragement and inspiration as you continue to BUILD A FOUNDATION!!
- A great resource for Bible verses, Bible Topics, Commentaries, etc. – http://www.BibleGateway.com