Before Paul tells the Philippians how they can experience the fullness of joy in their daily service, he encourages them with these words…
Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. – Phil 2:12
These words resonant with me as a mom, and teacher. It is my deep desire, as I’m sure it is for those who share their knowledge, experiences, skills, wisdom, etc. with others, that what has been taught/”caught” will be implemented when we’re not around to correct, redirect, or point out alternative responses.
Paul sets us straight in the second half of this verse, clearly stating who we should follow, and obey. He doesn’t say follow me, Paul, or your mom, your dad, your Grandma or Grandpa, your teachers, coaches, etc. No, Paul is very clear. He says, obey God!!
So it doesn’t matter if your mom, or other mentor, isn’t around at every moment of your day, because God is. He is there to guide, support, encourage, comfort, and direct our steps.
HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT GOD WANTS US TO DO?
We could simply let our conscience be our guide.
However, our consciences are subject to change, depending on where we get our information. Therefore, it is important to have an unchanging/timeless/accurate source of truth.
WHERE DO WE FIND AN UNCHANGING/TIMELESS/ACCURATE SOURCE OF TRUTH?
Absolute truth is found in the Bible.
It is particularly important to read God’s Word for yourself verses just listening, or reading what God has taught others, or being an inactive observer. Although listening and reading what others teach can provide great insight, independent reading of the Bible allows God to personally speak to you and to your situation.
WHERE DO I GET THE DESIRE TO READ AND LEARN GOD’S WORD?
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. – Phil 2:13, and it’s not simply reading the Word of God, but you must do what it says – James 1:22.
As promised from the last post, Follow the Leader?? – Joy in Serving – PHILIPPIANS (Chapter 2c) , http://wp.me/p5nZpi-ot, here are some practical ways Paul gives us to serve God and others in our everyday lives.
PRACTICAL WAYS TO SERVE IN OUR DAILY LIVES… PHILIPPIANS 2:14-16
- In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing – v.14
- Live clean, innocent lives as children of God – v.15 Paul realizes this won’t be easy as the second part of this verse says, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. – v.15 [Keep in mind that Paul is writing this letter to the Christians in Philippi, and believers everywhere. It is these people who Paul is referencing when he says, children of God. Children of God are those who have been born again, all people are not children of God. But to all who believed Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God. – John 1:12-13]
<See upcoming post for more on – Are All People Children of God?>
3. Let your lives shine brightly, as lights, in the world – v.15
4. Hold firmly to the Word of Life, the Bible – v.16
HOW TO APPROACH OUR DAILY INTERACTIONS…
- Don’t expect to be served
- Look for opportunities to serve others, your faithful service is an offering to God – Phil 2:17
Choose to serve, and watch your ordinary day turn into an extraordinary day 🙂
- Would you like to have a personal/intimate relationship with the God?? Take a look at the tab, The Cornerstone…, in the menu for more info.
- If you would like to receive notifications when new posts are published, click on the FOLLOW button in the sidebar. Or if you are viewing from your mobile device, scroll down the page and you’ll see the FOLLOW blog via email button 🙂
- It you are viewing with the mobile version, scroll down to the bottom of this page for additional info and pics 🙂
- Take a look at the other tabs in the menu for encouragement and inspiration as you continue to BUILD A FOUNDATION!!