Clearly in the verses, quoted by the preacher, the implication that ALL people are children of God, is not correct. If we take a moment to look at the verses, we’ll see that there is a prerequisite to becoming a child of God, an adopted son or daughter.
The opening quote given by the preacher says it all…
Ephesians 1:3-6 – All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son.
The preacher was correct in saying, “As Christ-followers our primary identity is not built on something we do, but on something that has already been done. Through Jesus Christ, you’ve been adopted as God’s son, as God’s daughter. YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD.
(What does it means to follow someone/something? see – Follow the Leader?? – Joy in Serving – PHILIPPIANS (Chapter 2c) , http://wp.me/p5nZpi-ot)
YOU MAY BE ASKING YOURSELF, “SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM THEN?”
First of all, think about this comment, You ARE a child of God.
Ok, sounds good, but here’s the puzzling part.
Let’s use the analogy of a baby girl I’ve given birth to. Now is this baby girl a child of Monica? Of course, the answer is yes. So, if this baby girl is my child, then there is no need for me to adopt her. Similarly, if ALL people are God’s children, then there would be no reason for us to be adopted by God, thus negating what the Scriptures say – God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family – Eph. 1:5
Given the above analogy, it would certainly seem that “something” is missing from this picture.
Secondly, in listening to the preacher’s message, it seemed as though he was glossing over Scriptural truths. The preacher correctly mentioned that it is through Jesus Christ, that you’ve been adopted as God’s son, as God’s daughter. YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD, yet neglected to mention one small, but important detail – How is it through Jesus Christ?
I could interpret this in many different ways depending on where I am in my spiritual journey.
If I am a:
- Atheist or Agnostic – Since I don’t believe God exists, or I’m skeptical about the very existence of God, I am glad that through Jesus Christ was downplayed/quickly passed over.
- Seeker (someone who is checking out churches/Christianity) – I may not have even heard the part about adoption. I may just have heard, I’m a child of God.
- A religion or belief system other than Christianity – I might not have heard that it’s through Jesus that I’m able to be adopted into God’s family. I might just have heard, ALL people are children of God.
- A long time Christ-follower – I might not have realized that the way to become a child of God was quickly passed over. Having been a Christ-follower for a long time, I might have just made an assumption, “Sure everyone knows you become a child of God when you put your faith in Jesus for salvation.”
Thirdly, according to the verse in Ephesians 1:5, God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ, If ALL people are children of God, THEN ALL people must be Christ-followers too.
Yet, we know that is not the case. All we have to do is bring up the name of Jesus to our classmates, co-workers, friends, family members, etc. to know that ALL people are not Christ-followers.
Scripture confirms this observation saying,
But to all who believed Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God. – John 1:12
We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. – Romans 3:22
It is through our individual/personal profession of faith in what Jesus did on the cross that allows ALL people to become an adopted child of God.
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be put to shame.” – Romans 10:9-11
God saved you by His grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. – Ephesians 2:8-9
SO WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY IS TRUE FOR ALL PEOPLE?
Are All People Children of God?? – (Part 1) http://wp.me/p5nZpi-pm
Response to Reader’s Comment – Are All People Children of God??? (Part 2) http://wp.me/p5nZpi-ro
Are ALL People Children of God??? – (Part 3 of 3) http://wp.me/p5nZpi-rg
- Would you like to have a personal/intimate relationship with God?? Would you like to become God’s child?? Take a look at the tab, The Cornerstone…, in the menu for more info.
- If you would like to receive notifications when new posts are published, click on the FOLLOW button in the sidebar. Or if you are viewing from your mobile device, scroll down the page and you’ll see the FOLLOW blog via email button 🙂
- It you are viewing with the mobile version, scroll down to the bottom of this page for additional info and pics 🙂
- Take a look at the other tabs in the menu for encouragement and inspiration as you continue to BUILD A FOUNDATION!!