This post wraps up Paul’s letter to the Philippians.
Before Paul explains how we can experience Joy in Giving, he gives his readers a couple of important reminders…
—– Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. – Phil. 4:4-5
—- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by 1. prayer and supplication (humbly asking or begging another to provide something) 2. with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And = the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Phil. 4:6-7
Then Paul reminds his readers that they should focus their mind and thoughts on…
IF there is any excellence and IF anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. – Phil. 4:8
Lastly, Paul thanks the people of Philippi for their generosity. He points out to them, that no other church gave him financial help when he brought them the Good News. – Phil. 4:15-16
Although Paul says in verses 11-13, … I am not speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Nevertheless, Paul is appreciative and grateful for the Philippians care of him – Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty. – Phil 4:14
Let’s flip back a couple of books in our Bible from Philippians to 1 Corinthians. In 1 Corinthians, Paul clearly sets an expectation for those who are receiving and benefiting from being taught the Gospel. We have planted good spiritual seed among you. Is it too much to ask, in return, for mere food and clothing? If you support others who preach to you, shouldn’t we have an even greater right to be supported? …The Lord gave orders that those who preach the Good News should be supported by those who benefit from it. – 1 Corinthians 9:11-12,14
SO HOW WILL I EXPERIENCE THE JOY IN GIVING?
Paul says, here is God’s promise to those who are generous.
This same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. – Phil 4:19
So God taught Paul two important lessons which he passes along to us…
- How to be content in any circumstance.
- He, God, is the provider of ALL our material and spiritual “needs”.
IF YOU MISSED ANY OF THE PREVIOUS PHILIPPIANS POSTS, SEE THE LINKS BELOW:
Want to Know a Secret?? – PHILIPPIANS (Introduction) –  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-mp
Really?? There Can Be Joy In Suffering?? – PHILIPPIANS (Chapter 1a) –  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-mF
Blessing and Being Blessed 🙂 – Joy in Serving – PHILIPPIANS (Chapter 2a)  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-nA
Yeah, but I’ve Got the “Creds”!! – Joy in Believing – PHILIPPIANS (Chapter 3a)  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-sk
- Would you like to have a personal/intimate relationship with the God?? Take a look at the tab, The Cornerstone…, in the menu for more info.
- If you would like to receive notifications when new posts are published, click on the FOLLOW button in the sidebar. Or if you are viewing from your mobile device, scroll down the page and you’ll see the FOLLOW blog via email button 🙂
- It you are viewing with the mobile version, scroll down to the bottom of this page for additional info and pics 🙂
- Take a look at the other tabs in the menu for encouragement and inspiration as you continue to BUILD A FOUNDATION!!