Below are five tools we’ll want to have in our “spiritual tool bag” to help us navigate over, through, around, or to avoid life’s temptations.
1) OUR THOUGHTS: What we think about is critical!!
- Philippians 4:8 – Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
- And in Romans 12:2 – Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
2) PUT ON ALL OF GOD’S ARMOR:
- Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s way of living. For shoes, put on the Gospel of Peace so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Accept God’s salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. – Ephesian 6:10-18
3) BALANCE :
– If our minds are filled to the rim with the latest TV shows, music and all the rest the culture has to offer, we will be bombarded with messages and images that may lead to sin.
– When we balance the good from our culture with what is taught in the Bible, we’ll enjoy life to the fullest, and we will be ready for any temptations that are thrown at us.
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. – Colossians 3:2
4) THE WORD OF GOD:
– This is our best defense against temptations.
Remember when Jesus was tempted by Satan in the desert, His defense was to quote Scripture, Matthew 4:4-10, which caused the devil to leave Him.
– God’s Word will make me wiser than my enemies, Psalm 119:97-98
– Peter was told to – watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. – Mark 14:38
– In the “Lord’s Prayer” we pray, lead us not into temptation – Matthew 6:13
– If we find ourselves in a tempting situation and seek God’s guidance, He won’t allow us to be tempted more than we care bear, and He will provide us with a way out from the tempting situation. – 1 Corinthians 10:13
Equipped with God’s Word, and His Spirit within us, know that you are much more powerful than any destructive ideas Satan tries to throw at you.
** THIS CONCLUDES MY SERIES ON TEMPTATION. IF YOU’VE MISSED ANY OF THE PREVIOUS POSTS SEE THE LINKS BELOW :)**
What Gives You the Willies?? – TEMPTATION  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-vx
Stay ALERT!! Have a PLAN!! – TEMPTATION  – http://wp.me/p5nZpi-CC
- Would you like to have a personal/intimate relationship with the God?? Take a look at the tab, The Cornerstone…, in the menu for more info.
- If you would like to receive notifications when new posts are published, click on the FOLLOW button in the sidebar. Or if you are viewing from your mobile device, scroll down the page and you’ll see the FOLLOW blog via email button 🙂
- It you are viewing with the mobile version, scroll down to the bottom of this page for additional info and pics 🙂
- Take a look at the other tabs in the menu for encouragement and inspiration as you continue to BUILD A FOUNDATION!!
- A great resource for Bible verses, Bible Topics, Commentaries, etc. – http://www.BibleGateway.com